top of page

Below are some of our frequently asked questions. If you need further clarification or have a question that is not listed, please feel free to contact us!

Q: What tax areas does Jackson Gaines (JG) specialize in?

A: JG specializes in Audit examinations which include preparation and representation, innocent spouse and injured spouse matters, collection matters, such as Offers in Compromise (OIC), Installment Arrangements (IA), Collection Due Process (CDP) Hearings and Appeals, Penalty abatements and Trust Fund Recovery. We also specialize in tax consultation and business consultation matters from the inception of business set-up through the operation of that business.

Q: What type of business client does Jackson Gaines (JG) serve or represent?

A: JG represents and serves clients in a wide range of businesses including the independent contractor, beauty salons, barber shops, healthcare and daycare operations, sports management, entertainers such as actors and musicians, professional associations, attorneys, consultants, media agencies, talent agencies, photographers, cleaning companies, caterers and restaurant owners and water treatment companies.

Q: What are some of the complex tax matters has Jackson Gaines (JG) successfully managed for clients?

A: JG has managed many complex tax issues for clients including federal tax liens, levies, innocent spouse and employer trustee penalties and business/corporate tax matters. We know the best way to resolve a tax matter is by knowing all of the challenges a tax matter presents and then execute using the right strategy, knowledge, resources and experience that get the best results to any tax or business matter.

Q: Has Jackson Gaines (JG) represented past clients in the event they were audited by the federal or state tax authorities?

A: Yes, JG always maintains ties with past clients. If a past client is sent to audit, JG will represent them in that audit. JG will also represent past clients in any tax matter even if that matter was created by another tax agent.

Q: Does Jackson Gaines (JG) represent clients in criminal tax matters?

A: Yes, JG represents the individual taxpayer and businesses with criminal tax matters on both federal and state levels. JG can most often resolve most of these matters. However, If JG cannot settle a criminal tax matter and that matter has to be resolved by a Court of law, JG will refer that matter to its team of criminal tax lawyers.

Q: What is an Enrolled Agent?

A: An Enrolled Agent (EA) is a federally-authorized tax practitioner who has technical expertise in the field of taxation and who is empowered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before all administrative levels—examination, collection, and appeals—of the Internal Revenue Service. In addition to taxpayer representation, Enrolled Agents often provide tax consultation services and prepare a wide range of federal and state tax returns.

Q: Are Enrolled Agents regulated?

A Enrolled Agents are regulated by Circular 230 of IRS which provides the rules of practice for enrolled agents, certified public accountants and tax attorneys. The IRS Return Preparer Office (RPO) provides oversight to the Enrolled Agent profession, including the testing and renewal of Enrolled Agents. Enrolled Agents also have annual continuing education requirements.

Q: Why do I need to hire an Enrolled Agent?

A Enrolled Agents specialize in certain areas. By hiring an Enrolled Agent, you are hiring someone who has reached the highest level of federal tax expertise and can represent the taxpayer in any simple or complex tax issue.

Q: What does Jackson Gaines (JG) offer as an Enrolled Agent?

A: My practice involves many aspects of tax representation, including preparation of tax returns for individuals and businesses and since everyone one of us has a tax life, it is my practice to insure that your tax life is managed properly throughout the year, not just at tax time. We are available year round.

Q: If I live in a different state, can Jackson Gaines (JG) represent me?

A: Yes. Enrolled Agents are federally licensed by the Department of Treasury – Internal Revenue Service and can therefore serve clients in any of the 50 states including taxpayers that live in or work in US Territories.

bottom of page